Saturday was a beautiful day and my mind was set on baking. Fresh scones, warm from the oven with my coffee…. yes that’s exactly what I needed. But no butter please!! I searched for no-butter scone recipe and gave it my own twist. Here’s the outcome.
2 cups – All purpose flour (I am going to try with whole-wheat next time)
1 cup – 1% milk
1/4 cup – plain low fat yogurt
1/4 cup – cooking oil
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of cinnamon powder (optional)
pinch of nutmeg powder (optional)
few tsps of sugar (optional)
jam to go with the scones.
– Pre-heat the oven to 375 F. Line your baking tray with parchment paper and prep it.
– Mix the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
– Whisk the milk (3/4 cup and reserve 1/4 cup), yogurt and oil together.
– Add the mixture to the dry ingredients and form a soft dough. Add the remaining milk if required to soften the dough.
– Now drop heaped spoons of the dough onto the baking tray, 2 inches apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden brown.
– Serve warm with jam.
Give this a try…. it’s yummy. You could use fruit yogurt instead of plain, or add dried blueberries or cranberries. For savory scones, try adding feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.